At Direct Line Group, we’re shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking – after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands – including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag – change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It’s hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. And they’re helping us transform the industry we lead.
We are now looking for a UI Developer to join our Digital team within the Commercial business on a permanent, full-time basis to work from our Bromley office -- only a 17 min train journey from Victoria!
The UI Developers create and maintain user interface updates (content, build, MVT Tests and defects) and initiate the process to publish into the production environments. They also support and mentor less experienced members of the team to ensure widespread technical knowledge and experience.You will champion the agile process followed within the UI Engineering Team and ensure that our processes are understood by others within Digital and external stakeholders across the business.
- Championing the agile process followed within the UI Dev Team. Ensure that our processes are understood by others.
- Advising and proposing best practice into design process, when required, to help achieve a more robust UI
- Working with and managing code repositories
- Completing all allocated tasks as prioritised and without incident or issue, in line with agreed timescales
- Performing and completing cross browser compliance testing and accessibility testing
- Providing relevant support to CIO development teams and teams within Digital Services
- Supporting and mentoring fellow team members
- Researching new technologies and their potential uses on the Direct Line Group web sites. Providing proof of concepts and advise the business of the relevant benefits of investing in these technologies
- Taking ownership of own personal development and career progression
- Identifying, owning, and managing the risks involved in running our business appropriate to my role, in line with the company risk framework
- Demonstrable experience of cross-browser compliance testing to an advanced level
- Demonstrable experience of accessibility testing to an advanced level
- Demonstrable experience of responsive development to an advanced level
- Experience of working in an Agile Project Management environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of current and emerging development techniques (e.g. HTML frameworks)
- Comprehensive knowledge of current and emerging technologies
- Experience of working with and advising a design team
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.