In 2014, as part of its commitment to extend the provision of legal services it offers to its customers, Direct Line Group launched a newly formed law firm, DLG Legal Services. We currently recruiting for an experienced Employer Liability / Personal Liability Claims Handler to join our Croydon team on a full time permanent basis.
Handling a caseload of Claimant Employers Liability claims, Public Liability claims and unusual Road Traffic Accidents such as Pedestrian or Cyclist claims. To represent DLG Legal Services in the conduct of client matters in providing legal advice and assistance in a professional matter, in accordance with internal procedures and acting as an ambassador to the organisation.
- Manage a client’s claim by continually using the firm’s technical process and accurately documenting each activity that has taken place and ensuring time is recorded accurately. To manage all client work allocated in accordance with the detailed procedures and quality standards contained in the firm’s manual and client protocol
- Complete all necessary investigations into the circumstances of the incident and the value of the client’s claim, carrying out legal research as required. To collate and review the evidence. To assess prospects of the claim succeeding on its merits. To assess the likely value of the claim for personal injury and recoverability of financial losses.
- Ensure clients are provided the correct legal advice. Where appropriate, managing clients’ expectations, explaining decisions and the steps in the claims process clearly and succinctly, and ensuring clients are treated fairly at all times.
- Negotiate settlement on the best possible terms for the Client ensuring that instructions are complied with or taken at the necessary points. Ensuring that the legal expenses provider is kept updated at all key stages.
- Draft the necessary documents to issue court proceedings, comply with court directions, draft statements and ready the file for a final court hearing. To instruct counsel as necessary, drafting the brief and checking costs statements.
- Identify, own and manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to the role, in line with the relevant risk framework and in compliance with all DLG Legal Services policies and procedures, the Solicitors Accounts Rules and the SRA Code of Conduct at all times.
- Manage cases efficiently and effectively. Making sure that client work is progressed efficiently to meet departmental targets and Service Level Agreements and the client is kept proactively informed where appropriate. Agreed levels of billing and time recording must be achieved. Incoming post should be reviewed daily and responded to promptly.
- Identify and appropriately investigate all conflicts, complaints and potential acts of negligence and ensure they are reported immediately to a team leader or member of the compliance team.
- Ensure good working relationships with team-mates, team leader, management and administrative staff as well as maintaining a good working relationship with suppliers, external organisations and the work-source.
- Support the strategic development of the department and firm by developing best practice and the client experience through continuous improvement initiatives.
- Experienced Legal Executive or Solicitor.
- Previous experience of EL / PL claims handling preferable, either within an insurance company or law firm environment.
- Knowledge of Pre Action Protocols, CPR, Practice directions and relevant statute and case law as well as relevant regulations relating to accidents at work. Litigation experience.
- Experience of using a Case Management System
- Knowledge of JC Guidelines for the assessment of general damages in personal injury cases and understanding and ability to research different resources e.g Lawtel, LexisNexis
- Ability to communicate efficiently with clients by telephone and written communication
- Proven track record of achieving targets
- Ability to work under pressure with attention to detail and manage time effectively
- Understanding issues and finding solutions with the ability to think out of the box
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborating for success
- Professional manner, enthusiastic and trustworthy
35 hours per week, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Salary: Depending on location and the candidates past experience up to £52000 per annum, up to 10% bonus plus benefits
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.
Life at Direct Line Group
We recommend that you read our colleagues’ stories and ask them a question on our live discussion platform www.directlinegroupcareers.com/ask-our-people. This will help you learn more about us and be better prepared for interviews.