Senior Data Science Consultant
Our Telematics products collect driving data from a wide variety of devices and present it back to our motor insurance customers and pricing teams. It is the Data Science team that define the best data to collect, and how to interpret it using state-of-the-art big data techniques in order to provide insights into how well our customers are driving.
Over the last few years, we’ve demonstrated the value of the telematics data we collect to help our customers and pricing teams understand how well they are driving. But we are only scratching the surface of what we can do for our customers! In this role, you’ll join a completely new joint team of DLG and The Floow data scientists that has been set up with the specific goal of pushing the boundaries of what we are doing with this telematics data. By working closely with The Floow and with access to new and rich data sources, you will become an expert in this growing field and be a key member of a team with the drive to reinvent motor insurance.
What your day will look like:
- Being DLG’s key representative on a joint DLG-The Floow data science and analytics team. Working collaboratively on cutting edge and high impact investigations that will translate directly into product design, pricing and underwriting rulings across DLG’s portfolio of Motor Insurance Brands (Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, PSA Group and VW Group)
- Owning and guiding a number of key data science initiatives identified by the Telematics Analysis Leadership Committee, focused on creating substantial commercial value from 2bn miles of UK telematics data to develop better insurance pricing models, new underwriting rules and other commercially deployable insights.
- Working within the Joint DLG-Floow data science team and with The DLG Pricing and Underwriting team and the DLG commercial team. Take responsibility for data, modelling and communication of analysis to stakeholders; including clear and actionable insight through advanced analysis and interpretation of multiple complex data sets.
- Contributing to deployment of data science outputs, working with data engineering colleagues to deploy models into production or to develop visualisations of insight for business users.
- Working very closely with the DLG Head of Telematics Pricing to agree on design and prioritisation of work packages and associated success criteria. Acting as a key liaison between the joint data science team and DLG senior management.
- By learning from within one of the world’s prime telematics data science teams at The Floow, establish, capture, maintain and continually improve Data Science best practices at DLG. Working closely with DLG’s wider Data Science community to build DLG’s own in-house Telematics Data Science capability over time.
- Demonstrate and lead the “art of the possible” showcasing new capabilities and driving innovation within the wider data science community in DLG and identify other capable stakeholders, especially to realise the Chief Data .Officer’s strategy and being actively involved in the wider Data Science industry, bringing new ideas to DLG that can realise value for the business.
- Proven track record of ability to quickly adapt to and exploit new and cutting edge technology/ techniques .
- Degree or above qualification in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related subject.
- Broad knowledge of programming and scripting .
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prior experience of developing and delivering commercially viable ‘big-data’ analytic solutions .
- Experience with working in connection with collaborative projects/ dynamic teams .
- Experience with using Data Mining algorithms and statistical tools such as Python and R.
- Experience with Version Control (Git).
- Strong past experience on research projects and deliverables.
- Evidence of leadership potential either within previous role or outside work..
- Past experience on collaborative projects working across organisations or within JVs .
- Knowledge of Motor Insurance.
- Proven track record of involvement in complex applications .
- Experience with UNIX / LINUX command line and other programming languages (e.g. C++).
- Experience in presenting and visualising the output of big data analytics.
At Direct Line Group, we’re shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking – after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands – including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag – change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It’s hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. Join us and help us transform the industry we lead.
Life at Direct Line Group
Let our colleagues answer your questions and tell you what it’s really like to work at DLG. Visit our discussion hub (https://directlinegroupcareers.career-inspiration.com/app/home/) to find out why Direct Line Group is a special place to work.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.