At Direct Line Group, we’re shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking – after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands – including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag – change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It’s hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. And they’re helping us transform the industry we lead.
Digital is in the driving seat. And we're taking the lead. We’re turning our brands into digital leaders. We’re here to revolutionise how people use our products and services. Work with us, and you’ll find an in-house role with an agency feel.
Digital Systems Engineer
Why not join our Digital department here at Direct Line Group as we are currently recruiting an exciting opportunity to work as a Systems Engineer; from our head office in Bromley.
You will be responsible for building, maintaining and supporting infrastructure solutions for engineering teams within Digital and feed in to the infrastructure architectural solutions for new and proposed projects.
We are looking for someone who is proactive and will seek to identify improvements and efficiencies, while utilising new technologies and existing tools. You will own the architecture and technical system innovation and excellence within all system engineering activities across Digital.
What being a Digital Systems Engineer involves:
- Carry out system reviews to ensure accordance with architectural principles set out by and agreed within the team.
- Ensure capability is consistently shared across the team and, where appropriate, across other engineering teams.
- Work with third parties to resolve infrastructure issues in existence and proactively engage with vendors to ensure continued availability of systems for which the team is responsible.
- Own responsibility for resolving issues with existing infrastructure or tools set-up / owned by the team.
- Support and advise peers on best practise where the team is responsible for the support activities.
- Ensure that tasks which can be automated are automated to drive down cost and improve agility.
- Collaboratively manage and prioritise work across the team, as a team.
- Ensure all activity conforms to, at a minimum, industry best practise and where prescribed by Digital, or the wider DLG, conformity meets our prescribed standards for:
- Data Protection
- Ensure all activity is compliant and delivered within the project governance frameworks.
- Support DLG change management procedures as part of production releases
- Support Agile delivery principles across all of Digital ensuring best practice adoption around Continuous Integration, Scrum, Kanban, Continuous Delivery, DevOps and Change Management.
- Develop personal and the team capacity/capability through knowledge sharing sessions and pair programming.
- Ensure that any knowledge related to supported systems/platforms is documented and shared across the team (no single point of failure).
- Support and advise peers (Application Delivery, Engineering Managers, Solution Designers, Business Analysts etc.) to ensure the proposed solution fits with the overall system design principles and requirements are delivered.
- Supporting all systems, tools and platforms to ensure minimum downtime, user access control, audits, security and governance compliance.
- Manage and support all network systems (e.g. internet connectivity, WiFi, servers and workstations) ensuring compliance with all Digital and DLG standards.
Essential skills we are looking for
- Systems engineering (implementation) capapbility (Hosting infrastructure, Networking, Security, Engineering Tools, Analytics etc.) in AWS public cloud.
- Agile system engineering experience (competent and capable).
- Demonstrable experience of Digital change delivery across a range of devices.
- Demonstrable experience of supporting Digital experiences across web, mobile and apps.
Life at Direct Line Group
Let our colleagues answer your questions and tell you what it’s really like to work at DLG. Visit our discussion hub (https://directlinegroupcareers.career-inspiration.com/app/home/) to find out why Direct Line Group is a special place to work.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.