At Direct Line Group, we’re shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking – after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands – including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag – change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It’s hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. And they’re helping us transform the industry we lead.
Digital is in the driving seat. And we're taking the lead. We’re turning our brands into digital leaders. We’re here to revolutionise how people use our products and services. Work with us, and you’ll find an in-house role with an agency feel.
Digital UI Engineer
Why not join our Digital department here at Direct Line Group as we are currently recruiting an exciting opportunity to work as a Digital UI Engineer; from our head office in Bromley.
This is a key role for a multi-skilled UI engineer. You will be creating and maintaining user interface updates (content, build, MVT Tests and defects) and initiate the process to publish into the production environments. Support and mentor less experienced members of the team to ensure widespread technical knowledge and experience.
What being a Digital UI Engineer involves:
- Champion the agile frameworks (Scrum and Kanban) within the team, ensure that Agile principles are practiced by peers and understood by stakeholders.
- Work proactively and collaboratively as part of a SCRUM/KANBAN team.
- Work with and manage code repositories when required.
- Complete all allocated tasks as prioritised and without incident or issue, in line with agreed timescales.
- Perform and complete cross browser compliance testing and accessibility testing to agreed standards within Digital.
- Provide relevant support to CIO development teams and teams within Digital Services.
- Ensure that quote functionality is still available to customers on legacy web sites following releases in the relevant environment.
- Support and mentor fellow team members.
- Research new technologies and their potential uses on the Direct Line Group web sites. Provide proof of concepts and advise the business of the relevant benefits of investing in these technologies prior to roll-out or implementation.
- Take ownership of own personal development and career progression.
- Identify, own and manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to my role, in line with the company risk framework.
- Champion the agile frameworks (Scrum and Kanban) within the team, ensure that Agile principles are practised by peers and understood by stakeholders.
Essential skills we are looking for
- Experience of cross-browser compliance testing
- Understanding of accessibility testing
- Experience of responsive development
- Understanding of Agile principles
- Good knowledge of current and emerging development techniques (e.g. HTML frameworks)
- Good knowledge of current and emerging technologies
- Management of code repositories
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.
Life at Direct Line Group
We recommend that you read our colleagues’ stories and ask them a question on our live discussion platform www.directlinegroupcareers.com/ask-our-people. This will help you learn more about us and be better prepared for interviews.