Risk Control Surveyor Apprenticeship
Apprenticeships are for everyone! An apprenticeship with DLG will help you kick start your career in Insurance, whilst you work towards a Level 4 Insurance Professional qualification. Believe it or not, working in Insurance is fun! We’re searching for six apprentices to join our team across the country on this one-of-a-kind programme.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who has a genuine interest in risk control. If you have a natural curiosity for health & safety, what buildings are made of and maybe what risks you can identify in shops or businesses, then a future career as a Risk Control Surveyor could be for you!
To thrive in this role you will have dedication, attention to detail and an analytical mindset alongside great communication skills.
As an apprentice you will undertake a large volume of studying and training to ensure that you achieve your qualifications, so commitment to this is a must!
You’ll need at least
- GCSE (or equivalent) in Maths and English A*-C (9-4), which you’ll be able to evidence
- A Level or equivalent in 3 subjects
- As this role will require you to travel you will need to commit to acquiring a full driving licence if you do not already have one.
Who you’ll be working with
Working as part of the Risk Surveyor team you will be travelling to potential and existing customer commercial properties/sites to undertake risk surveys which will aid our partners (NIG Underwriters, Survey Support Team, Brokers, and our customers). You’ll visit locations from farms, hotels and warehouses all the way through to motor traders’ garages and industrial units.
What you’ll be doing
As the boots on the ground for NIG, our surveyors are key to ensuring the client has the right level of cover for their business and that risks are minimised. You will be responsible for surveying fire, theft, and liability risks, including identifying and appraising hazards and defects from the processes and procedures involved and able to eliminate or minimise the company exposure to these risks by appropriate risk improvement measures.
- Promoting risk management understanding and awareness to all Risk Control Team (RCT) Partners (NIG Underwriters, Survey Support, Brokers and Policyholders)
- Delivery of a range of client and prospect survey reports
- Reinforce the culture and core values of Direct Line group through appropriate behaviours and actions
- You will gain excellent knowledge of different risks such as; fire causes, physical security, safes, intruder alarms and current Health & Safety legislation
By becoming an apprentice at DLG, you’ll be able to combine on-the-job practical skills with theoretical knowledge from off-the-job learning, giving you the best opportunity to develop your career. Your learning journey will involve virtual online coaching, online module delivery and guided self-study/workplace application via our chosen training provider.
You will also be paired with an DLG experienced technical surveyor buddy and have a dedicated DLG mentor who will support your training every step of the way.
What we'll give you
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer excellent benefits designed to suit your lifestyle:
- 9% employer contributed pension
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- EV car scheme allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way.
- Generous holidays
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
Salary – Competitive
Working Hours - You'll work 35 hours per week Monday to Friday
Location – We are looking for candidates from the following locations: Reading, East Midlands, Exeter, Carlisle/North East, Cardiff & Birmingham. During the apprenticeship you will spend 1 day every week at one of our NIG locations so ability to commute to one of these is a must.
Start Date – September 2023
If you want to find out more, contact us on 0345 877 6309 or email us at
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer, and we think diversity of background and thinking is a big strength in our people. We're delighted to feature as one of the UK's Top 50 Inclusive Employers and are committed to making our business an inclusive place to work, where everyone can be themselves and succeed in their careers.
We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, are what bring potential to our business. We recognise and embrace people that work in different ways so if you need any adjustments to our recruitment process, please speak to the recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Can’t find the job you’re looking for? Register to be notified as soon as new jobs become available. Enter your email address. Choose the job category and/or enter a location that you’re interested in. And then click “Add” to add the criteria and “Sign Up” to create your job alert.