Cloud Database Engineer
We are Direct Line Group – home to some of the country's best-known brands including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Greenflag and NIG. Our vision is to create a world where insurance is personal, inclusive, and a force for good, and our purpose is to help people carry on with their lives, giving them peace of mind now and in the future.
DLG is at an important stage in its evolution to be a technology and data company. Following a few years of significant build and transformation of core assets, ranging from telephony to core customer-facing platforms, an Agile transformation for key segments of our business is bedding in with the intent of better serving our customers at pace. However, there is more to do!
As our Cloud Database Engineer we’ll look to you to build, support and manage DLG’s critical database and middleware estate, providing technical governance over key suppliers and internal programs, and support the transformation of applications and services to public cloud venues.
- We offer hybrid working and ideally you’ll need to be in our London office c. twice per month.
Who you’ll be working with
We are delivering a set of ambitious plans to transform our technology for the future, evolving the systems, platforms and infrastructure that our people use day-to-day. You'll join our Infrastructure Platforms team which sits within our wider ‘Core Technology’ department, reporting into Matthew Ashton (Head of Infrastructure Platforms).
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide technical expertise and manage and maintain the operational integrity of DLG’s Database and Middleware estate which will include;
- Operational oversight of database and middleware instance management.
- Support and technical assurance for major incident activity
- Technical governance of the managed DB and MW service provision
- Ensure database and middleware services operate with the right level of resilience & cost effectiveness
- Have technical oversight of Suppliers' Operational capability
- Ensure operational direct is fit for purpose, identify gaps and areas for service improvement
- Lead regular operations meetings with suppliers ensuring operational standards are maintained
- Operational oversight of database and middleware instance management
- Provide support and technical assurance for major incident activity
- Support technical assurance of proposed change delivery
- Provide proactive oversight to support third party suppliers to ensure the delivered solutions meet the agreed service operational standards and provide operational input into problem review activity
- Assist with review and approval of changes across Infrastructure Platform
- Maximise the value of Infrastructure Platforms to DLG
- Develop trusted working relationships with suppliers to ensure they are proactive in improving operation demands
- Identify opportunities to reduce total cost of ownership and improve operational performance and provide authoritative subject matter expertise input into database capacity management reporting & recommendations
- Partner with service integration, service operations and service architecture teams to support end to end service operations across the supply chain
- Provide operational and technical leadership for key infrastructure components:
- Assisting in maintaining a DLG Infrastructure Service Catalogue
- Ensure End of Life is managed within DLG's risk appetite
- Undertake technology assessments and evaluations,
What you’ll need
- MS SQL, including high availability solutions, replication and Azure SQL.
- Oracle Database, including RAC clusters, and Data Guard.
- Cloud platforms IAAS/PAAS – Database services – Azure, OCI
- Middleware – incl. Weblogic, Websphere, Tomcat, Informatica, Connect:Direct
- Database and application performance tuning
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
Ways of Working
Here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
How much you'll be in the office depends on your role, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. You can find out more about our flexible working approach or please get in touch with the team to discuss.
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer such excellent benefits designed to suit you as and when you need them:
- 9% employee contributed pension
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
- Up to 20% bonus
- EV car scheme allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way.
- 30 days holidays
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
Life at Direct Line Group
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we're committed to making DLG a truly inclusive place to work.
We recognise and embrace that people work in different ways and we'll always adapt as much as possible so you have the best and most comfortable working environment that we can offer. We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, can bring real potential to DLG.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.