Enterprise Solution Architect
Direct Line Group is one of the UK's largest insurance companies and home to some of the best-known brands including Direct Line, Churchill and Green Flag.
DLG is at an important stage in its evolution to be a technology and data company. Following a few years of build and transformation of core assets, ranging from telephony to core customer-facing platforms, an Agile transformation for main segments of our business is bedding in with the intent of better serving our customers at pace. However, there is more to do!
Do you want to work somewhere that really understands (and has a CTO and CIO) that actually want to change the art of the possible? Well join DLG – we are re-inventing everything about not just Insurance but how this amazing group creates amazing products and services. We are purpose and vision led with lots of challenges but a force for good.
- We have just launched the Multiverse partnership (grad/apprentices)
- We are creating communities in Change, in Engineering and in Architecture
- Finally, NONE of this works with out a strategy in the next 5 years.
The next wave brings incremental delivery of our business and customer outcomes through empowered teams. Underpinned by a cohesive multi-year Technology strategy and architecture with engineering teams that can support delivery in whatever delivery framework is required. Purpose led Technology, in service of sustainable growth, changing market conditions and exponential progress in technologies.
What does this job involve?
We need people who can really look at a business strategy and operating model(s), talk to colleagues at all levels in plain language yet converse at depth with technology, architecture, change and ops experts.
Execution capability matters. You should understand engineering development and leadership in newer technologies that emerge over the next 3-5 years taking us to 2025. This supports making innovation happen and the ability to improve adoption of great architectural thinking and help others turn it into reality – this is not an ivory tower role.
What we're looking for
- Purpose led, customer-focused technology that enables growth, adjacencies and innovation; whilst always simplifying the costs of DLG and consumers.
- Excellent deep & wide technology expertise in more than one architectural domain
- Understanding of technology from a capability perspective with a view to rationalise and simplify
- Embrace the new realms of machine learning (AI, Quantum, Metaverse) and shifts in how this will affect DLG, our Data and how that flows through our consumer and business divisions.
- Relevant architecture domain skills end-to-end with focus on applications & integration; can challenge existing architecture models
- Create a narrative that takes all in the enterprise through the purpose and reason to believe in the strategy – ensuring that it is delivered as imagined even when iterated
- Experience delivering on innovation, with an owners/startup mindset to growth and growing customers
- Experience, excitement and interest in complex architectures which include, but may not be limited to, web applications built using java & angular, iSeries, Mainframe, COTS products and a 'cloud first' approach driving a multi cloud strategic runway (AWS & Azure)
- Experience with the interactions between people, processes and technology
- Fluent in financials and commercial topics and able to create linkages between business and technology and have a sound commercial approach to identifying solutions
- Take a holistic view of the organisation and its technology need
- We are open to candidates from any industry but would expect and interest in the insurance business and its future direction.
Ways of Working
Our mixed model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone. How much you'll be in the office depends on your role, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you.
Read our flexible working approach here.
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer excellent benefits designed to suit your lifestyle:
- 9% employer contributed pension
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer, and we think diversity of background and thinking is a big strength in our people. We're delighted to feature as one of the UK's Top 50 Inclusive Employers and are committed to making our business an inclusive place to work, where everyone can be themselves and succeed in their careers.
We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, are what bring potential to our business. We recognise and embrace people that work in different ways so if you need any adjustments to our recruitment process, please speak to the recruitment team who will be happy to support you.