Lead Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Direct Line Group is one of the UK's largest insurance companies and home to some of the best-known brands including Direct Line, Churchill and Green Flag. We are going through an exciting transformation to be the top tier data-driven organisation in the UK's General Insurance market.
What we're looking for:
Direct Line Group is going through an exciting transformation to be the top tier data-driven organisation in the UK's General Insurance market.
Our team, is at the heart of this mission, and we are looking for people passionate about using data to solve customer problems and making the organisation data-driven. We are working with our teams to build our new enterprise-scale, cloud hosted, secure and trusted analytics platform. The platform uses the economics of big data, cloud elasticity, machine learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) automation and to turn information into business insights so that we can support our customers better.
Our Data engineers are accountable for the development and operations of the Data Platform.
The technology you will work on is Amazon Web Services (AWS) native (Redshift, S3, Glue, CloudFormation, CloudWatch, for example) and we make use of Apache Airflow, dbt, PySpark. The Data platform ecosystem on the servicing side includes Tableau, Qlik, Domino Data Labs just to name a few of the tools.
You will work with the business owners in an agile team, alongside analysts, BI developers, platform engineers, machine learning engineers, and report to the Chapter Lead in your area.
You will work on complex problems, architecting and delivering simple, yet efficient solutions
What you'll need:
We're open to candidates from any industry but would expect customer focus and desire to understand the insurance business
- Fluency in Python, Spark and experience writing high quality and maintainable SQL on row/column oriented datastores.
- Experience of cloud storage and computing technologies such as AWS S3, Redshift, Glacier, Athena, EMR, EC2, RDS
- Practical hands-on experience with cloud native development of data lakes or platforms, continuous delivery, and test automation.
- Experience in engineering and optimising data pipelines in terabyte to petabyte scale data platforms
- Experience designing solutions, delivery and test patterns, using industry best practices.
- Understanding of industry recognised data models, patterns and tools commonly in use within the big data space
- Understanding of DevSecOps, CI/CD and Agile working practices (and tools like Jira and Confluence)
- Experience with the principles of data management, governance and privacy
- End-to-end mindset with equal focus on delivery and operational aspects
- To be technically curious and versatile
- Embrace a culture of feedback with the goal of continuous improvement of self and others
What does this role involve?
- Create performant, agile data services to meet customers' needs
- You will design and building data flows to integrate operational systems, the data analytics platform and BI tools
- You will be an advocate for test-driven and quality first engineering practices, understanding, and observe data governance and ethics frameworks and principles
- Knowledge of dealing with challenges in the data domain; performance tuning; data observability, and solving for problems across the end-to-end data flow
- Design and maintain metadata repositories to aid data discovery and create a better understanding of data assets
- Use your experience to solve technically complex problems but equally have the to make non-technical team members understand and build trust with the team
- You will embrace an agile operating model collaborating to solve business problems with an obsession for customer service
- Support strategic reviews and tooling and technology evaluations
- Build engineering communities and capability around modern engineering best practices
- Opportunity to help shape the organisation's future Data Strategy
Ways of Working
Here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
How much you'll be in the office depends on your role, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. You can find out more about our flexible working approach or please get in touch with the team to discuss.
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer such excellent benefits designed to suit you as and when you need them:
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
Life at Direct Line Group
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we're committed to making DLG a truly inclusive place to work.
We recognise and embrace that people work in different ways and we'll always adapt as much as possible so you have the best and most comfortable working environment that we can offer. We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, can bring real potential to DLG.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.