Lead Data Scientist - Pricing
We are Direct Line Group – home to some of the country's best-known brands including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Greenflag, NIG, and Darwin. Darwin is a motor insuretech business within DLG, that was launched in 2019. Although fairly new to the market, we're already supporting a lot of customers and are aspiring to continue this growth further.
Our vision is to create a world where insurance is personal, inclusive, and a force for good, and our purpose is to help people carry on with their lives, giving them peace of mind now and in the future. To help us deliver on this vision and purpose, we've recently transformed our operating model to Agile ways of working in key segments of our business including Pricing and Underwriting and Data.
As Darwin continues to grow,, we are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join the Pricing & Underwriting squad within Darwin. We are looking for people who get a ‘buzz’ in solving business problems and innovating! Joining a 'start-up' within DLG of 30 people, you will really have the autonomy to test, learn, and adapt and make a great contribution to Darwin.
As Lead Data Scientist, you'll be leading a small team of data scientists to build market leading motor risk cost models and other ancillary models for pricing.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Manage the end-to-end modelling cycle: data quality and control, model build, review and deployment
- Bring innovation through R&D on modelling techniques and model structures to develop NextGen pricing models
- Work closely with the wider P&U squad to deploy the models into production and make real time pricing and underwriting changes
- Responsible for and have sight of end-to-end pricing cycle and its impact on the P&L, from ideation to delivery
- Influence an end-to-end business (not just pricing!)
- Access to large volume of Darwin and DLG data and modern tools for analysis and making business decisions
- Exposure to use of machine learning algorithm in ‘live’ pricing
- Freedom to be creative and explore new ideas (and not always follow the ‘norm’)
What We're Looking For:
- Experience in building pricing models using machine learning techniques for motor insurance, preferably risk cost models
- Experience in leading a small team of data scientists
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Ability to lead projects and drive them to completion in collaboration with other teams
- Proficient in using R, Python, etc.
Ways of Working:
Here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a ‘best of both worlds’ approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
How much you’ll be in the office depends on your role, and we’ll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. You can find out more about our flexible working approach or please get in touch with the team to discuss.
Life at DLG
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we’re committed to making DLG a truly inclusive place to work.
We recognise and embrace that people work in different ways and we’ll always adapt as much as possible so you have the best and most comfortable working environment that we can offer. We know you’re more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, can bring real potential to DLG.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.