Property & Casualty New Business Underwriter
Property & Casualty New Business Underwriter (Full Time, Permanent Position)
Glasgow – Hybrid
This role is in scope to transfer to RSA in Summer 2024. As part of this RSA are currently consulting with DLG’s Employment Representative Body on their proposed measures (changes to terms and conditions and ways of working that RSA intend to make as part of the transfer). Further information will be discussed in the application process.
Let’s make the most of your talent
At Direct Line Group, insurance is just the start. Combining decades of industry experience with talented people in every field, we’re a customer-obsessed market powerhouse. And we all work together to be brilliant for customers, every single day.
At NIG, we’re the experts the experts turn to. We’ve got bags of experience in the commercial insurance game, providing an effortless broker based insurance offering to businesses across the UK. Everything we do is consumer centric, rooted in flexibility, and designed to maximise efficiency.
What you will be doing:
This role involves winning and retaining profitable business from brokers in your Region. To improve your underwriting and trading skills and those of other Underwriters within the Region. You will develop advantageous relationships with key brokers. This will include:
- Support in the delivery of New Business financial plan – including delivery of your personal New Business GWP Target
- Support in the delivery of Existing Business financial plan (including rate carry and retention)
- Underwrite in accordance with PUA and Underwriting Guidelines to meet required profit targets
- Carry out daily quote sift
- Deliver quality broker service in line with Broker Segmentation service levels
- Act as a referral point for lower level PUAs and support in improving Underwriting capability
- Effective usage and update of Tools and Systems
- Contribute to wider business activities – including support to Regional Underwriters
- Improve own contribution through active self development
- Develop effective working relationships with Trading Regions and Underwriting Centre to support in delivery of objectives
- Identify, own and manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to my role and in line with the DLG Insurance Risk framework and associated governance frameworks
What we are looking for:
- Previous Underwriting experience
- Experience within Property and Casualty
- Trading skills
- Ability to develop broker panel and internal relationships.
- Local market awareness
There’s no-one else like you. No-one with the exact same mix of strengths, quirks, skills and thoughts. That’s why you could belong here. As part of a team of brilliant individuals, in a place that empowers you to be the best you can be.
We’re proud of who we are, of what we do, and what every single one of us brings.
Join us. Help us keep innovating and putting customers at the heart of everything. To be an insurance company of the future. When we work together, we can all achieve great things. Inspiring, challenging, and supporting each other to aim higher.
Together we’re one of a kind.
What we’ll give you in return:
We wouldn’t be where we are today without our people and the wide variety of perspectives and life experiences they bring. That’s why we offer excellent benefits to suit your lifestyle and a flexible working model combining the best parts of home and office-working, varying with the nature of your role. Core benefits include:
- 9% employer contributed pension
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
- Generous holidays, 25 days (excluding bank holidays). Plus, the option of buying or selling up to 5 days each year!
- Up to 10% performance-based annual bonus
- EV car scheme allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way.
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
- Plus many more
Ways of Working
Our hybrid model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone. When you'll be in the office depends on your role, but most colleagues are in 2 days a week, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. Read our flexible working approach here
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer, and we think diversity of background and thinking is a big strength in our people. We're delighted to feature as one of the UK's Top 50 Inclusive Employers and are committed to making our business an inclusive place to work, where everyone can be themselves and succeed in their careers.
We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, are what bring potential to our business. We recognise and embrace people that work in different ways so if you need any adjustments to our recruitment process, please speak to the recruitment team who will be happy to support you.