Trading Underwriter - Property & Casualty - Northern Ireland
Here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a ‘best of both worlds’ approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
How much you’ll be in the office depends on your role, and we’ll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. You can find out more about our flexible working approach or please get in touch with the team to discuss.
At Direct Line Group, we’re shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we accept change in all its richness and variety. It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and adopt fresh thinking – after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Our NIG Brand caters for businesses with more complicated insurance needs, we provide tailored insurance solutions with customised cover. Underwritten through our regional trading offices and two underwriting centres, our dedicated teams provide the support, expertise and swift responses needed to win and retain business.Our regional trading branches predominantly focus on new business trading and profitable growth and we now have a tremendous opportunity for an experienced commercial underwriter to join our NIG team to develop the Northern Ireland Region on a permanent basis.
This role will be hybrid working (or remote if based in Northern Ireland), visiting brokers around the Northern Ireland region.
What you'll be doing:
You will win and retain profitable business from brokers in the Northern Ireland region. To improve your underwriting and trading skills and those of other Underwriters within the Underwriting Centre. To develop helpful relationships with key brokers. This will include :
- Support in the delivery of New Business financial plan – including delivery of your personal New Business GWP Target
- Support in the delivery of Existing Business financial plan (including rate carry and retention)
- Underwrite in accordance with PUA and Underwriting Guidelines to meet required profit targets
- Carry out daily quote sift
- Deliver quality broker service in line with Broker Segmentation service levels
- Act as a referral point for lower level PUAs and support in improving Underwriting capability
- Effective usage and update of Tools and Systems
- Contribute to wider business activities – including support to Regional Underwriters
- Improve own contribution through active self development
- Develop effective working relationships with Trading Regions and Underwriting Centre to support in delivery of objectives
- Identify, own and manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to my role and in line with the DLG Insurance Risk framework and associated governance frameworks
Who you'll be working with:
We are a Trading Region handling New and Existing Business, this role is primarily handling New Business with the opportunity to deal with Existing Business if needed. We are a team of 23 highly skilled professionals who aim to deliver top class service to our Regional Brokers. We pride ourselves in being a High Performing team who work extremely well together to achieve our overall Regional goals.
What we are looking for:
- Previous Underwriting experience
- Experience within Property and Casualty
- Trading skills
- Develop broker panel and internal relationships
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Local market awareness
- Progressing towards ACII
What we'll give you:
We're always encouraging internal development and you'll have access to loads of learning opportunities, events and conferences to build your industry knowledge. DLG reached number 35 on Glassdoor's top places to work in 2018, because of our working culture, dedication and passion for developing our colleagues; a place where you can truly build a long-lasting career!
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we’re committed to making DLG a truly inclusive place to work.
We recognise and embrace that people work in different ways and we’ll always adapt as much as possible so you have the best and most comfortable working environment that we can offer. We know you’re more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, can bring real potential to DLG.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.