Chapter Lead (Data Technical Lead)
Direct Line Group is going through an exciting transformation to be the top tier data-driven organisation in the UK's General Insurance market.
Your team will be at the heart of this mission, and we are looking for people passionate about using data to solve customer problems and making the organisation data-driven. We are working to build our new enterprise-scale, cloud hosted, secure and trusted analytics platform. The platform uses the economics of big data, cloud elasticity, machine learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) automation and to turn information into business insights so that we can support our customers better.
Our Data engineers are accountable for the development and operations of the Data Platform.
The technology stack you will work on is Amazon Web Services (AWS) native (Redshift, S3, Glue, CloudFormation, CloudWatch and so on) and we make use of Apache Airflow, dbt, PySpark. The Data platform ecosystem on the servicing side includes Tableau, Qlik, Domino Data Labs just to name a few of the tools.
You will work with the business owners, in an agile team, alongside analysts, BI developers, platform engineers, machine learning engineers.
You will work on complex problems, architecting and delivering simple yet efficient solutions.
What you'll do:
- This is a hands-on leadership role, focused on delivering amazing products and service to our customers and our people
- You will lead a team of data domain experts
- Shape the organisation's future Data Strategy, providing support and steer to the wider team(s) and other leaders
- You'll build tools and infrastructure (cloud native) to support the engineering community, champion test-driven and quality first engineering practices
- You will need to collaborate across multiple technology and teams as part of your role, whilst maintaining delivery and outcome focus.
- You will embrace an "Agile" operating model
- Building data engineering communities and capability around engineering best practices, focussing on quality and future skills build.
- You will also mentor, coaching and create motivated and engaged people
- As part of the Data Chapter, you will work under the direction of a Chapter Area Lead
What you'll need:
- Provide expertise on future direction, coupled with commercial understanding
- Understanding of DLG Behaviours: (e.g. being curious, empowering teams, building trust and encouraging simplicity)
- Hands-on data engineering experience and experience creating large-scale transformation programmes
- Hands-on experience with cloud native development of data lakes or platforms
- Understanding of Agile in principles and practices and tools like Jira and Confluence
- End-to-end mindset with equal focus on delivery and operational aspects
- Experience with people and leadership, supporting people on their growth journeys.
- Curiosity to experiment and improve, whilst staying aligned on outcomes
- To embrace a culture of feedback, with the goal of continuous improvement of self and others
- An interest in staying abreast with, and understanding new technologies as the landscape changes over time
Ways of Working
Here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
How much you'll be in the office depends on your role, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. You can find out more about our flexible working approach or please get in touch with the team to discuss.
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer such excellent benefits designed to suit you as and when you need them:
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
Life at Direct Line Group
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we're committed to making DLG a truly inclusive place to work.
We recognise and embrace that people work in different ways and we'll always adapt as much as possible so you have the best and most comfortable working environment that we can offer. We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, can bring real potential to DLG.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.