Trading Underwriter - Property & Casualty - NIG
At NIG, we’re experts in commercial insurance. Our experienced teams are focused on identifying and understanding the challenging risks faced by UK businesses. But what really sets us apart is our partnership approach with our brokers.
We believe in getting to know both the brokers we work with and their clients’ businesses, building trusted relationships that last for the long term. Our underwriting teams work with brokers to identify and understand their clients’ risks. Together, with our risk control experts and risk management tools, we help clients reduce and mitigate risks in their organisations.
We provide the flexibility to create tailored insurance cover that meets clients’ needs and deal with claims quickly and fairly through a proactive claims approach.
We continue to listen to our brokers and improve our offering, investing in our people and new technology. At NIG, we’re dedicated to make trading with us effortless, we are committed to delivering a robust service proposition and always seek to implement the right support to help our broker partners today and in the future.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for an experienced Trading Underwriter to join our established NIG team in Manchester on a full-time, permanent basis.
You will have previous underwriting experience within Property and Casualty and great trading skills. You will demonstrate local market awareness. If you are good at developing broker relationships and are progressing towards ACII we would like to hear from you.
This role can be undertaken from the comfort of your home where you will come into our Manchester office twice a week as well as travel to visit our brokers in the North West area when needed.
What you'll do:
You will win and retain profitable business from brokers in the Manchester Region. To improve your underwriting and trading skills and those of other Underwriters within the team. To develop helpful relationships with key brokers. This will include :
- Support in the delivery of New Business financial plan – including delivery of your personal New Business GWP Target
- Support in the delivery of Existing Business financial plan (including rate carry and retention)
- Underwrite following Personal Underwriting Authority and Underwriting Guidelines to meet required profit targets
- Deliver quality broker service following Broker Segmentation service levels
- You will be a referral point for lower level Underwriters and support in improving Underwriting capability
- Contribute to wider business activities – including support to Regional Underwriters
- Improve own contribution through active self development
- Develop working relationships within the Manchester Region
- Manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to your role and following the DLG Insurance Risk framework and associated governance frameworks
Who you'll work with:
We are a Trading Region handling New and Existing Business, you will be primarily handling New Business with the opportunity to deal with Existing Business. We are a team of 26 professionals who aim to deliver top class service to our Regional Brokers. We pride ourselves in being a High Performing team who work extremely well together to achieve our overall Regional goals. You will report to our Regional Underwriter.
Work hoursMonday - Friday, 35 hours per week
Ways of Working
NIG is a wholly owned subsidiary of Direct Line Group and here at Direct Line Group, we recognise the importance of flexibility, not only in our personal lives but also in the way we work. Our mixed model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone.
How much you'll be in the office depends on your role, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you. You can find out more about our flexible working approach or please get in touch with the team to discuss.
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer such excellent benefits designed to suit you as and when you need them:
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
- EV car scheme allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way.
- Generous holidays
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
- Plus many more
Life at Direct Line Group
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we're committed to making DLG a truly inclusive place to work.
We recognise and embrace that people work in different ways and we'll always adapt as much as possible so you have the best and most comfortable working environment that we can offer. We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, can bring real potential to DLG & NIG.
If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Can’t find the job you’re looking for? Register to be notified as soon as new jobs become available. Enter your email address. Choose the job category and/or enter a location that you’re interested in. And then click “Add” to add the criteria and “Sign Up” to create your job alert.