Vehicle Repair Apprenticeship - Weybridge
2023 Vehicle Repair Apprenticeship
University isn’t always the answer! An apprenticeship with DLG will help you grow your career alongside working towards a qualification, and believe it or not, working in Insurance is fun.
The future is exciting as the technologies used in Body Shops are evolving every day, which is really helping us re-shape the vehicle repair industry. That's why we're excited to grow our teams and looking for people to join us.
We’re searching for Apprentices to join our team on a 5-year Programme in our accident repair centres. During the first 3 years of the programme, you will study towards a Level 3 Vehicle Repair qualification in partnership with a leading training provider. After successful completion your learning journey will continue as you work towards completing a senior technician qualification on a 2-year internal learning programme at DLG.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about vehicles and that has a genuine interest in starting a career in the Automotive industry!
Being able to meet deadlines and having a great eye for details is key in this role. You’ll enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and be able to work effectively as part of a team as well as having the capability to follow instructions and work individually. We need someone who is eager to learn and embraces change.
To be eligible to apply for this apprenticeship you will:
- Have or be predicted an A*-G (9-1) GCSE (or equivalent) in Maths and English, which you’ll be able to evidence. However, if you have extenuating circumstances please do get in touch.
- Applicants need to have lived in the UK for the last 3 years
Who you’ll be working with:
You’ll become an essential part of our team by being the next generation of Technicians. You will work closely with qualified Technicians who you will build trusting relationships with, and they will work alongside you to help nurture your potential and help you flourish in the role.
What you’ll be doing:
We offer a range of Vehicle Repair Apprenticeships which focus on a variety of skills and disciplines. As a vehicle repair technician your day to day will involve working on repairing vehicles which have been involved in accidents.
You may be unsure at this stage which technical discipline route to take however our industry experts are here to help support you find the apprenticeship which is most suited to you.
Mechanical, Electrical & Trim (MET)
- As a MET Apprentice your day to day will involve removing and fitting mechanical, electrical, and trim components and electronically controlled vehicle mechanical components and systems.
- Throughout this apprenticeship programme you will study towards a Level 3 MET (Mechanical, Electrical & Trim) qualification.
Panel Technician Apprenticeship
- As a Panel apprentice you will have exposure to repairing, removing and replacing body panels on damaged vehicles using different repair methods. Identifying and rectifying minor and major damage repairs to body panels using a variety of techniques. Building knowledge and experience of how to join materials using resistance spot welding, Metal Intert Gas (MIG) brazing techniques and adhesive bonding techniques.
- Throughout this apprenticeship programme you will study towards a Level 3 Panel qualification.
- As a Vehicle Spray Painter apprentice, you will prepare, spray and refinish damaged vehicles ensuring the vehicle is restored back to customers standards. You will develop knowledge and understanding of identifying and working with, repairing and refinishing plastic components and how to undertake masking activities. While using state of the art technology you will learn about paint defects, how to create correct colour matches and utilising modern drying and curing techniques.
- Throughout this apprenticeship programme you will study towards a Level 3 Paint qualification.
By becoming an apprentice at DLG, you’ll be able to combine on-the-job practical skills with theoretical knowledge from off-the-job learning, giving you the best opportunity to develop your career in the motor industry.
You will be paired with a dedicated DLG mentor who will support your training on site every step of the way.
You will attend college on a day release or block release basis depending on your location. This will include practical and theory sessions which will be set by the chosen training provider.
What we’ll give you:
You’ll gain valuable experience working for a market leading Insurance company with a culture that encourages you to bring all of yourself to work. What’s even better is you’ll earn a permanent position at the end of your apprenticeship, if you're performing and successfully complete your studies.
We offer a competitive structured salary plan throughout the apprenticeship.
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer excellent benefits designed to suit your lifestyle:
- 9% employer contributed pension
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- EV car scheme allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way.
- Generous holidays
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
Hours – 40 per week (Shifts will be discussed at interview stage)
Location –Vickers Drive North, Brooklands Industrial Estate, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0YU
Start Date – September 2023
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer, and we think diversity of background and thinking is a big strength in our people. We're delighted to feature as one of the UK's Top 50 Inclusive Employers and are committed to making our business an inclusive place to work, where everyone can be themselves and succeed in their careers.
We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, are what bring potential to our business. We recognise and embrace people that work in different ways so if you need any adjustments to our recruitment process, please speak to the recruitment team who will be happy to support you.