Apprenticeships with Direct Line
Keen to kick-start your career?
With a Direct Line apprenticeship, you can earn as you learn, come out with a professional qualification and even secure a permanent role with us, one of the UK’s leading companies.
Why apply for an apprenticeship in insurance?
As university tuition fees have risen and the marketplace for graduates becomes ever-more competitive, more and more young people are seeing the benefits of apprenticeships as an alternative route to getting noticed by employers. This applies not just to traditional hands-on trades, but also fields like IT, administration and other office-based professions.
So what makes our insurance apprenticeships special?
Get the jump on your peers
An apprenticeship with Direct Line Group, during which you’ll get first-hand industry experience, could lead straight to a permanent position (subject to your performance). You’ll complete an A-Level-standard qualification without being tethered to a classroom, which means you can learn how the business world really works and give yourself the chance to show employers what you can do.
The UK insurance industry
The insurance industry is a real UK success story. Our nation’s insurance industry is the largest in Europe and the third biggest in the world, employing over 100,000 people (with almost 200,000 working in related services). The size and vibrancy of the UK insurance sector means it offers a host of rewarding careers around the country.
What our apprenticeships provide
With our apprenticeships in insurance, you can expect to receive:
• a permanent role at the end of the programme (subject to performance)
• an induction that goes beyond standard employee training
• dedicated support in your chosen business area
• a training provider assessor will meet with you monthly to develop and monitor your individual learning plan
• an A Level-standard professional qualification (depending on the business area)
• 3.5 hours of study time per week
• quarterly apprenticeship development (work on projects/CSR and or advocate on apprenticeship events as and where appropriate)
• access to a dedicated online learning portal with modules on personal development, technical development, and up-to-date business and industry knowledge
• the opportunity to progress to our Higher Apprenticeship Programme (subject to assessment criteria).
Take the Direct Line to career success
Our insurance apprenticeships are your gateway to a career with Britain's leading personal motor and home insurer, which employs approximately 11,000 people around the UK. Across its family of brands, Direct Line Group has a 14% share in the UK personal motor market and a 17% share of the UK home insurance market.
There’s no better place to start your career than with a market leader in the dynamic insurance industry. But don’t take our word for it: we asked some of current apprentices about their experiences so far, and here’s what they told us.
What qualifications will you need?
The qualifications and other requirements to become an apprentice at Direct Line vary between programmes.
Generally speaking you will need a minimum of GCSE grades A-C (or equivalent) in English and Mathematics.
The application process
The application process for our apprenticeships goes like this:
1. Apply online
2. We’ll look carefully at your application
3. If we’re impressed, we’ll call you for a telephone interview
4. If you pass that stage, we’ll invite you to a business interview or ask you to attend an assessment centre
5. If you’re successful, we’ll make an offer.
Let's get you started
Ready to take the Direct Line to a rewarding career in insurance?
Find out more about the roles available below.