At DLG Legal Services, our mission is to make law easy and accessible to everyone. As part of the Direct Line Group, we provide legal services to over 50,000 DLG customers each year. Customers can access our legal Adviceline team and our growing list of services includes personal injury, employment, property, inheritance, and contract litigation. We also support our parent group, litigating on their behalf.
We are currently recruiting for a Financial Planning Analyst (with model build capability), to join our Legal Services finance team, based in Leeds on a 6 month contract. The finance team is led by a Head of Finance (HOF) with support from sub-teams in transactions, forecasting, management/statutory reporting and MI.
What being a Financial Planning Analyst (with model build capability) involves
You will be creating a forecast model based on information extracted and analysed from our systems (Filestream and Artiion), conversations with our Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and other stakeholders. This covers profit & loss, balance sheet and cash flow (PBC). Once you have built the forecast tool/model, you will be running and managing the end to end Forecast process to present it to the SLT.
- Build a tool/model from which we deliver a 5 year forecast using previous experiences of building PBC models and from understanding how DLG Legal Services operates (a claimant law firm with 25,000 live case).
- Engage with key stakeholders; open dialogue to ascertain information and data, understanding, testing and explaining the output using verbal and presentational communication.
- Create a simple yet effective model avoiding any over-engineering.
- Allow time to plan, and plan to allow time for thorough review processes before presenting to the SLT, e.g., self-review, review with Management Accountant, review with HOF.
- Ensure delivery of accurate financial analysis utilising up to date information and forecasts to support the business in making the right decision. Review and challenge the financials to ensure they are robust and represent the commercial context of the project.
- Support monthly reporting and periodic forecasts (2 cycles per annum) of the business metrics and all projects. Ensure the provision of a robust and quality business plan tracking reporting including financial performance and KPIs.
- Undertake regular, ad hoc project work as required and produce ‘scenario plans’ in response to changing internal and external circumstances and to continuously identify areas for improvement and benefit. Present these for consideration by the SLT.
- To be aware of and comply with legal, regulatory and risk management frameworks.
- Make best use of tools and interfaces, if data can be extracted from and to them.
- Robust approach as we have some issues; old accounting tool, old case mgt tool, slow servers, large files of data, tight roll forward timeframes, overhead allocation model, work in progress valuation.
Skills and qualities you’ll need
- A forecast/budget modeller, part/qualified accountant, experience in building a full PBC model.
- Ability to build a robust model using MS Excel, VBA, database extraction (SQL, SSRS, SSIS, SSAS)
- Commercial awareness.
- Understanding of a claimant law firm, time and case productivity, capacity planning, MI.
- Planning, flexibility, open communication, building understanding and trust, diligent mind-set, a finisher.
35 hours per week, Monday-Friday (9am-5pm). The day to day time will be split between Leeds and Croydon.
Life at Direct Line Group
Let our colleagues answer your questions and tell you what it’s really like to work at DLG. Visit our discussion hub (https://directlinegroupcareers.career-inspiration.com/app/home/) to find out why Direct Line Group is a special place to work.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.