In 2014, as part of its dedication to extend the provision of legal services it offers to its customers, Direct Line Group launched a newly formed law firm, DLG Legal Services.
We currently recruiting for an experienced EL/PL Claims Handler to join our Croydon and Leeds team on a full time, permanent basis.
Purpose of Role
Handling a caseload of Claimant Employers Liability claims, Personal Liability claims and unusual Road traffic Accidents such as Pedestrian or Cyclist claims. To represent DLG Legal Services in the conduct of client matters in providing legal advice and assistance in a professional matter. Following internal procedures and acting as an ambassador to the organisation.
- Handling a customer’s claim by continually using the firm’s technical process and accurately documenting each activity that has taken place within a timely manner.
- Leading all client work allocated in accordance with the detailed procedures and quality standards contained in the company’s manual and client protocol
- Completing all necessary investigations into the circumstances of the incident and the value of the client’s claim, carrying out legal research as required.
- Collating and review the evidence.
- Assessing prospects of the claim succeeding on its merits.
- Assessing the likely value of the claim for personal injury and recoverability of financial losses.
- Making sure clients are provided the correct legal advice. Where appropriate, handling clients’ expectations, explaining decisions and the steps in the claims process clearly and succinctly, and ensuring clients are treated fairly.
- Negotiating settlement on the best possible terms for the Client ensuring that instructions are followed or taken at the necessary points. Ensuring that the legal expenses provider is kept updated at all key stages.
- Drafting the necessary documents to issue court proceedings, align with court directions, draft statements and ready the file for a final court hearing. Instructing counsel as necessary, drafting the brief and checking costs statements.
- Identifying, owning and handling the risks involved in running our business appropriate to the role, in line with the relevant risk framework and in compliance with all DLG Legal Services policies and procedures, the Solicitors Accounts Rules and the SRA Code of Conduct at all times.
- Handling cases effectively. Making sure that client work is progressed efficiently to meet departmental targets and Service Level Agreements and the customer is kept informed where appropriate. Agreed levels of billing and time recording must be achieved. Incoming post should be reviewed daily and responded to promptly.
- Identifying and appropriately investigate all conflicts, complaints and potential acts of negligence. Ensuring they are reported immediately to a team leader or member of the compliance team.
- Ensuring good working relationships with team-mates, team leader, management and administrative staff as well as maintaining a good working relationship with suppliers, external organisations and the work-source.
- Supporting the strategic development of the department and firm by developing best practice and the client experience through continuous improvement initiatives.
- Experienced Claims Handler, Legal Executive or Solicitor.
- Previous experience of EL / PL claims handling preferable, either within an insurance company or law firm environment.
- Knowledge of Pre Action Protocols, CPR, Practice directions and relevant statute and case law as well as related regulations associated with accidents at work.
- Experience of using a Case Management System
- You have knowledge of JC Guidelines for the assessment of general damages in personal injury cases and understanding and ability to research different resources e.g Lawtel
- You have great communications skills, telephone and written communication
- You have a proven record of achieving targets
- You are able to work under pressure with attention to detail and handle time effectively
- You have understanding issues and finding solutions with the ability to think out of the box
- You are a great team member with you are easy to collaborate with
- You have a professional manner, hardworking and trustworthy
Working hours: 35 hour per week (Monday - Friday)
Salary: Depending on location and your past experience up to £38000 per annum plus benefits
Direct Line Group are an equal opportunity employer who value diversity. We do not discriminate and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. We will always adapt so you have the best and most comfortable working environment. If during the recruitment process you require any reasonable adjustments, please just let us know.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.
Life at Direct Line Group
We recommend that you read our colleagues’ stories and ask them a question on our live discussion platform www.directlinegroupcareers.com/ask-our-people. This will help you learn more about us and be better prepared for interviews.