In 2014, as part of its dedication to extend the provision of legal services it offers to its customers, Direct Line Group launched a newly formed law firm, DLG Legal Services. We are the preferred supplier for legal services across a diverse group of brands, including Direct Line, Churchill and Privilege.
Now we are making insurance easier and better value for our customers. We know we can’t do this without our forward-thinking people who we reward for ideas and thinking as well as results because that’s how we can achieve amazing things.
Come work for the 3rd Best Big Companies to Work for in 2019.
What we are looking for
This is an excellent career opportunity for a skilled Solicitor to join our Legal Services team in Croydon or Leeds to handle a caseload of high value Claimant Personal Injury claims.
What you will be doing
- You will handle a customer’s claim by using the firm’s technical process and accurately documenting each activity that has taken place within timely manner. You will be responsible for handling all client work allocated in accordance with the detailed procedures and quality standards contained in the company’s manual and client protocol
- You will complete all necessary investigations into the circumstances of the incident and the value of the client’s claim, carrying out legal research as required. You will collate and review the evidence. You will also assess prospects of the claim succeeding on its merits.
- You will ensure clients receive the correct legal advice. Big part of the role is handling clients’ expectations, explaining decisions and the steps in the claims process clearly and succinctly, and ensuring clients are treated fairly at all times.
- Your responsibility will be to negotiate settlement on the best possible terms for the Client ensuring that instructions are followed or taken at the necessary points. Ensuring that the legal expenses provider is kept updated at all key stages.
- You will draft the necessary documents to issue court proceedings, obtain costs budgets, follow court directions, draft statements and ready the file for a final court hearing. You will instruct counsel as necessary, drafting the brief and checking costs statements.
- Handling cases effectively will be your priority. Making sure that client work is progressed promptly to meet departmental targets and Service Level Agreements and the customer is kept informed. Agreed levels of billing and time recording is achieved. Incoming post should be reviewed daily and responded to promptly.
- You will support the strategic development of the department and firm by developing high standards and improve customer's experience.
Skills and qualities
- Are you a knowledgeable Claims Handler, Legal Executive or Solicitor?
- Can you provide a proven track record of achieving targets?
- Do you have knowledge of the Pre Action Protocol, the Court Procedure Rules (CPR) and Practice Directions as well as awareness of the Fatal Accidents Act, other statutes and changes in the law?
- Experience of using a Case Management System
- Knowledge of JC Guidelines for the assessment of general damages in personal injury cases and understanding and ability to research different resources e.g Lawtel, Ogden tables
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients by telephone and written communication
Working Hours: Monday - Friday (9am -5pm)
Salary: up to £52000 per annum + up to 10% annual bonus
Direct Line Group are an equal opportunity employer who value diversity. We do not discriminate and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. We will always adapt so you have the best and most comfortable working environment. If during the recruitment process you require any reasonable adjustments, please just let us know.
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.
Life at Direct Line Group
We recommend that you read our colleagues’ stories and ask them a question on our live discussion platform www.directlinegroupcareers.com/ask-our-people. This will help you learn more about us and be better prepared for interviews.