Direct Line Group is an ambitious company employing thousands of people throughout the UK. We’re proud to be one of Britain's leading general insurers, offering millions of customers decades of experience and knowledge. In the history of modern insurance, there has never been a bigger time for change than now and we work hard to make sure our well known brands –Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, NIG and Green Flag are making insurance easier and better value for our customers. We know we can’t do this without our forward-thinking people who we reward for ideas and thinking as well as results because that’s how we can achieve amazing things – for our customers and for each other. Come work for the 3rd Best Big Companies to Work for in 2019.
Underwriting Performance Analyst - Home
We are looking for an innovative, analytical underwriter to join our Home Underwriting Performance team. This team works to identify trends and propose changes to ensure we are effectively handling our underwriting performance and footprint and delivering our ambitious business targets. The Underwriting Analyst will play an important role in the team, monitoring our performance MI to ensure we are achieving our business priorities.
Whilst working under the banner of Pricing & Underwriting, our team works closely with many other business functions including Claims, IT, Operations and across all DLG Home brands. The diversity and variety of our work and its challenges are limitless.
What being an Underwriting Analyst involves:
You will provide technical and analytical underwriting support to achieve performance targets and the Underwriting strategy including supporting the delivery of change within Pricing & Underwriting and across divisions.
- Evaluate benefits, make recommendations and ensure delivery of changes to underwriting rules, rating and footprint across all Home channels to deliver key trading performance measurements, whilst ensuring adequate control of risk appetite.
- Liaise with the Development team on any future underwriting development opportunities identified.
- Monitor exposure trends in underwriting performance and mix monitoring MI, reviewing potential mitigating actions. Produce appropriate reports for relevant trading and risk forums.
- Monitor the impact of the underwriting question set and underwriting data sources, including application fraud prevention measures, on key trading and customer metrics, and evaluate benefits, make recommendations and ensure delivery of changes. Liaise with the Underwriting Development team on any future question set, underwriting data and fraud prevention development opportunities identified.
- Monitor the impact of the Home product structure, including cover levels, excesses and terms and conditions, on key trading and customer metrics, recommending changes to the Underwriting Development team, working with that team to implement changes into trading.
- Deliver changes to align underwriting rules with Technical & Margin Pricing developments and changes in Pricing capability.
- Ensure appropriate Underwriting controls are in place and followed with respect to testing, implementing and adhering to wider company risk appetite.
- Liaise with a wide variety of teams in order to shape, own and deliver your team’s priorities, working effectively with the wider Underwriting team, Category teams, wider Pricing and Underwriting teams and other areas.
- Ensure compliance with core Group policies, statutory policies, regulatory controls, and timely completion of risk and audit actions with a particular focus on Customer Conduct.
Skills & qualities you’ll need:
- You are educated to degree level or with proven experience in Underwriting
- Having experience using SAS is preferable, but not essential
- You will be a Competent user of Excel
Career benefits and rewards
Rewarding you is really important to us, as well as offering a competitive salary and generous holiday entitlement; you can take advantage of a wide range of benefits. The best part is you can pick and choose the benefits to suit your own lifestyle, but also pass on some of the savings to family and friends. Here are just a few we have on offer:
- A competitive salary, benchmarked against our competitors, which will grow as you do.
- Pension 9% of your base salary, you can choose to contribute less or more than this, and anything you don’t wish to put in to your pension you can take as cash instead!
- Private medical insurance (anyone can choose this through our flexible benefits scheme, and managers receive this as standard)
- Attractive holiday entitlement
- 50% off our Home, Motor and Pet insurance
- Free Travel insurance
- Free Green Flag breakdown cover
- Flexible rewards including Life insurance, income protection, critical illness insurance, personal accident insurance
- Retail card, with discounts at big name retailers
- My Discounts - a discounts website for all our employees, with great discounts, cash back savings and offers across hundreds of brilliant high street brands, travel, tickets, gym memberships and much more.
Who we are
Direct Line Group is an organisation with a clear mission: to make insurance much easier and better value for customers. We are one of the leading motor, home and small business insurers in the UK. We are home to some of the nation's best-known brands, including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag and NIG.
Life at Direct Line Group
We recommend that you read our colleagues’ stories and ask them a question on our live discussion platform www.directlinegroupcareers.com/ask-our-people. This will help you learn more about us and be better prepared for interviews.