At DLG Legal Services, our mission is to make law easy and accessible to everyone. As part of the Direct Line Group, we provide legal services to over 50,000 DLG customers each year. Customers can access our legal Adviceline team and our growing list of services includes personal injury, employment, property, inheritance, and contract litigation. We also support our parent group, litigating on their behalf.
Who are you looking for
Experienced Claims Handler, Legal Executive or Solicitor with previous experience of RTA claims handling (small track or fast track) to join our Legal Services Team in Croydon or Leeds office on a full time, 18 month fixed term contract.
What you will be doing
Dealing with transferred files that need to be litigated to progress the claim. Represent DLG Legal Services in the conduct of client matters in providing legal advice and assistance in a professional matter and acting as an ambassador to the organisation.
- Handling a client’s claim by continually using the firm’s technical process and accurately documenting each activity that has taken place and ensuring time is recorded accurately.
- Handling all client work allocated in accordance with the detailed procedures and quality standards contained in the firm’s manual and client protocol.
- Reviewing the transferred file and assess prospects of the claim succeeding on liability and quantum taking into account any offers received pre-litigation.
- Ensuring that all medical evidence has been correctly reviewed and valued and that all heads of claim have been identified, evidenced and documented.
- Ensuring clients are provided the correct legal advice. Handling clients’ expectations, explaining decisions and the steps in the claims process clearly and succinctly. Ensuring clients understand the court process and the importance of following court directions and ensuring clients are treated fairly.
- Negotiating settlement on the best possible terms for the Client. Ensuring that instructions are followed or taken at the necessary points. Ensuring that the legal expenses provider is kept updated at all key stages.
- Drafting the necessary documents to issue court proceedings, following court directions and ready the file for a final court hearing.
- Drafting any necessary Applications and Appeals.
- Instructing and liaise with counsel and deal with any necessary costs statements including Form H in higher value cases.
- Identifying, owning and handling the risks involved in running our business in line with the relevant risk framework and in compliance with all DLG Legal Services policies and procedures. The Solicitors Accounts Rules and the SRA Code of Conduct
- Handling cases efficiently and effectively. Making sure that client work is progressed efficiently to meet departmental targets and Service Level Agreements. Ensuring our clients are kept informed where appropriate. Agreed levels of billing and time recording must be achieved. Incoming post should be reviewed daily and responded to promptly and all court directions diarised on the case management system.
- Identifying and appropriately investigating all conflicts, complaints and potential acts of negligence and ensure they are reported immediately to a team leader or member of the compliance team.
- Ensuring good working relationships with team-mates, team leader, management and administrative staff as well as maintaining a good working relationship with suppliers, external organisations and the work-source.
What skills are required
- Knowledge of Pre-Action Protocols for personal injury claims, the CPR and Practice Directions and relevant statutes.
- Experience of using a Case Management System
- Knowledge of JC Guidelines for the assessment of general damages in personal injury cases and understanding and ability to research different resources e.g Lawtel for liability, quantum, indemnity and procedural issues that may arise as well as knowledge of the Court Procedure Rules (CPR) and the recent changes.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with clients by telephone and written communication
- Consistent track record of achieving targets
- Ability to work under pressure with attention to detail and manage time effectively
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborating for success
- Professional manner, enthusiastic and trustworthy
Working Hours: 35 hour per week, Monday Friday
Life at Direct Line Group
Let our colleagues answer your questions and tell you what it’s really like to work at DLG. Visit our discussion hub (https://directlinegroupcareers.career-inspiration.com/app/home/) to find out why Direct Line Group is a special place to work.
Direct Line Group are an equal opportunity employer who value diversity. We do not discriminate and we recognise and embrace that people work in different ways. We will always adapt so you have the best and most comfortable working environment. If during the recruitment process you require any reasonable adjustments, please just let us know.