Fuelled by our passion for using data to solve customer problems, we’re working to be the top-tier data-driven organisation in the UK’s General Insurance market. With Analysts, Engineers and Developers working together in an agile environment, our Data Enabling Tribe is at the heart of our mission. Building a new, enterprise-scale, cloud-hosted, secure and trusted analytics platform, we’re using the economics of big data, cloud elasticity, machine learning and AI automation. And we’re turning information into business insights to provide even greater customer support.
The Data Chapter
Our team is at the heart of this mission, and we are looking for people passionate about using data to solve customer problems and making the organisation data driven. We are working with our teams to build our new enterprise-scale, cloud hosted, secure and trusted analytics platform. The platform uses the economics of big data, cloud elasticity, machine learning (ML)/Artificial Intelligence (AI) automation and to turn information into business insights so that we can support our customers better.
Who you’ll be working with
You will be working closely with data engineers, analysts, and other stakeholders to understand their data requirements and provide the necessary data infrastructure and support. You will be reporting into Data Chapter Lead.
What you’ll need:
- Experience in insurance domain
- Experience with data modelling (star, snowflake, etc schemas) and performance optimisation of data tables
- Experience with data warehousing solutions (e.g., Redshift, Snowflake) and data lake architecture.
- Proficiency in data modelling tools and languages (e.g., ERwin, ErStudio, UML, SQL, etc.).
- Experience with working with internal customers to understand their use cases and ensure architecture conforms to their needs.
- Experience with both analytical and transactional processing databases
- Experience building enterprise grade data pipelines (ETL and ELT)
- Experience with Cloud-native data services, such as AWS Athena, Redshift,
- Strong knowledge of database management systems, including SQL, PL/SQL, and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with Data Architecture around GDPR compliance
- Experience on an Agile Environment, familiarity with Jira, Confluence and Git
- Experience interlocking with a Data Governance programme of work.
- Technical knowledge on dbt and Airflow
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills, with the ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
What you'll be doing:
As a Senior Data Modeller you will be responsible for the below:
Data Modelling: Develop, maintain, and enhance data models using industry-standard tools such as Erwin, ER/Studio, or similar, to support various data domains, including policyholder information, claims data, underwriting data, and financial data.
Requirements Analysis: Collaborate with business analysts and stakeholders to understand data requirements, business objectives, and user needs. Translate these into effective data models using data modelling languages and techniques (e.g., UML, Entity-Relationship Diagrams)
Data Architecture: Contribute to the design and implementation of a robust data architecture utilizing database management systems
Database Development: Work with Data engineers to implement data models in the company's database management systems, using dbt and schedule via Airflow
Performance Optimization: Monitor and optimize data models for query performance, using tools like SQL Profilers and performance tuning techniques.
Data Governance: Ensure that data models adhere to industry best practices and standards, promoting data governance within the organization, and using data modelling tools for version control and documentation.
Documentation: Maintain comprehensive documentation of data models, data dictionaries, and data lineage for reference and future development, utilizing documentation and collaboration platforms like Confluence
Collaboration: Champion and collaborate with cross-functional teams, including data engineers, data analysts, and business stakeholders, to drive data projects to successful completion, using collaboration tools like JIRA/Teams.
What we’ll give you in return:
We wouldn’t be where we are today without our people and the wide variety of perspectives and life experiences they bring. That’s why we offer excellent benefits to suit your lifestyle and a flexible working model combining the best parts of home and office-working, varying with the nature of your role. Core benefits include:
- 9% employer contributed pension
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance plus free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Up to 10% annual bonus
- 25 days holiday (rising by 1 each year to 28) + bank holidays and option to buy or sell up to 5 days
- Additional optional Health and Dental insurance
- EV car scheme allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way.
- Buy as you earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
- Plus many more
Ways of Working
Our mixed model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone. How much you'll be in the office depends on your role, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you.
Read our flexible working approach here.
We recognise and embrace people that work in different ways so if you need any reasonable adjustments within this recruitment process, please reach out to us and we can discuss how we can support you with this.
There’s no-one else like you. No-one with the exact same mix of strengths, quirks, skills and thoughts. That’s why you could belong here. As part of a team of brilliant individuals, in a place that empowers you to be the best you can be. We’re proud of who we are, of what we do, and what every single one of us brings. Join us.
Help us keep innovating and putting customers at the heart of everything. To be an insurance company of the future. When we work together, we can all achieve great things. Inspiring, challenging, and supporting each other to aim higher.
Together we’re one of a kind.