Business Risk Manager
At Direct Line Group, insurance is just the start. Combining decades of industry experience with talented people in every field from data, technology, customer care and auto repair, to HR, finance and procurement , we’re a customer-obsessed market powerhouse. And we all work together to be brilliant for customers, every single day.
DLG's growth is supported by our Risk function. From Upstream Risk, Regulatory Advice and Compliance Management Information to Privacy and Data Protection, our Risk and Compliance teams keep us one step ahead, always. With links to every part of the business, and the responsibility for keeping people safe and compliant with all regulatory, claims, and underwriting controls, we’ve got opportunities to develop your skills no matter your specialisation.
You will support the Head of Business Risk through providing effective Group oversight of operational risk and internal control management, including risk reporting. Working within the Business Risk team alongside other Business Risk Managers, you'll provide oversight of operational risk and monitor our DLG risk profile - while staying on top of developments and changes as they happen (both internally and externally!)
What else you'll be doing:
- Provide oversight of Operational Risk, through review and challenge of business area risk profiles, Key Risk Indicators, management actions and responses to Events. Ensuring findings, risk impacts and recommendations are agreed with relevant stakeholders and delivered appropriately.
- Feed into the assessment and monitoring of the Group’s overarching Risk Profile, against Risk Appetite, taking into consideration internal and external developments and trends.
- Help to mature Risk Appetite application, through rationalising and enhancing directorate risk and control assessment activities, including KPI/KRI/KCI usage, through appropriate and consistent methodologies, models, and systems.
- Identify risk management digitisation/automation opportunities; to streamline and focus on value.
- Work collaboratively with 1LOD management and ensure that, where risks are outside appetite, action plans are in place to enable a return to appetite within suitable timescales and are adequately monitored through effective governance structures.
- Help to identify areas that may require formal Risk Assurance and feed suggestions into the Head of Business Risk for consideration.
- Promote a risk-aware/risk-positive culture across the Group and personally demonstrate the required culture and behaviours.
- Support the effective implementation of a quarterly RCSA process, including the transition from the current annual IRCA process, and the ongoing maintenance and coordination of the process thereafter.
- Support the development, refresh or adaption of Risk policies, minimum standards, guidelines, templates and Risk management tools, associated with Operational Risk, as requested by the Head of Business Risk.
- Actively participate in Group Governance activities, ensuring they are fit for purpose, proportionate to the level of risk, and support making sound/balanced risk decisions.
- Maintain effective working relationship across all three lines of defence, including within the Risk and Compliance function itself, to remove unnecessary silos and enhance read across opportunities.
- Provide input to effective Executive and Board risk reporting. Including, but not limited to the CRO Report, ORSA, Annual Report & Account submissions etc, as requested by the Head of Business Risk.
- Provide input into the activity to refresh the Group assessment of Emerging and Top risks, including the facilitation of discussion across the wider business.
- Support the effective running of the Operational Risk Committee (ORC) and the Risk Management Committee (RMC), including meeting schedules, forward planning, agenda setting, delivery of strong papers that address key areas of risk and enable good levels of debate from members.
- Regular contribution to papers and commentary at governance for a, to help ensure the operational risk profile is clearly reported, aligned with the business and understood at relevant levels.
What you'll need:
- Awareness of the balance between risk, control and growth
- Curiosity and passion for generating new ideas
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills
- Experience of conducting thematic risk assurance assessments
- Strong report writing skills and an ability to present complex subjects simply
- Financial Services experience preferable
Hours: 35 hours (Monday - Friday)
Ways of Working
Our hybrid model way of working offers a 'best of both worlds' approach combining the best parts of home and office-working, offering flexibility for everyone. When you'll be in the office depends on your role, but most colleagues are in 2 days a week, and we'll consider the flexible working options that work best for you.
Read our flexible working approach here
We recognise we wouldn't be where we are today without our colleagues, that's why we offer excellent benefits designed to suit your lifestyle:
- Generous 9% employer pension. Regardless of whether you contribute into your pension or not, DLG pay 9% into your pension (but you can take this as cash if you want!)
- Eligibility for annual performance bonus of up to 10%
- Generous holidays, starting at 25 days and going up to 28 days per year. Plus, the option of buying or selling upto 5 days each year!
- 50% off home, motor and pet insurance
- Free travel insurance and Green Flag breakdown cover
- Electric Vehicle car scheme which allows all colleagues to lease a brand new electric or plug-in hybrid car in a tax efficient way
- Buy-as-you-earn share scheme
- Employee discounts and cashback
Direct Line Group is an equal opportunity employer, and we think diversity of background and thinking is a big strength in our people. We're delighted to feature as one of the UK's Top 50 Inclusive Employers and are committed to making our business an inclusive place to work, where everyone can be themselves and succeed in their careers.
We know you're more than a CV, and the things that make you, you, are what bring potential to our business. We recognise and embrace people that work in different ways so if you need any adjustments to our recruitment process, please speak to the recruitment team who will be happy to support you.